Georgie was tempted to call this one Lemon Poppy Cake. But with 30% calories from protein (and all the people looking for homemade protein bars) he decided to go with calling them Lemon Poppy Protein Bars. Either way, this is tasty enough to enjoy as a sweet dessert, and healthy enough to enjoy without an ounce of guilt, even for breakfast.
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour (or gluten free flour)
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 cup Splenda granulated or 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1½ cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola or macadamia nut oil
- 2 ½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9×13″ pan thoroughly with cooking oil spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, whey, Splenda, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest; stir to mix.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, stir together yogurt, applesauce, oil, lemon extract, and egg. Add dry ingredients to wet ones, and stir just until uniformly moistened. Pour batter into pan.
4. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool 5 minutes before slicing. To keep moist, wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator or freezer. Microwave briefly to reheat.
Makes 12 servings
Per serving: 125 calories, 3 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 15 g total carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 g sugar, 10 g protein, 261 mg sodium.