Imagine a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and a chocolate chip muffin. (But it’s a low fat, whole-grain cross of course.) One chocolate chipper is a guilt-free way to satisfy a sweet tooth or kick a chocolate craving – but I suggest keeping extras in the fridge or freezer so you aren’t tempted to eat them all!
- 1 ½ cups Splenda granulated or sugar
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup milled flaxseed
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
- 2 ounces mini semisweet chocolate morsels
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine Splenda, flour, flaxseed, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix.
- In a separate bowl, stir to combine applesauce, egg whites, vanilla, and oil.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Coat a 12-well muffin tin with cooking oil spray and divide dough evenly between wells.
- Bake for 9 minutes and promptly remove from oven. Allow cookies to stand for 10 minutes, then wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator or freezer. (To reheat a frozen chipper, remove plastic wrap and microwave for 30 seconds).
Makes 12 servings
Per serving: 114 calories, 4 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 18 g total carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 4 g protein, 207 mg sodium.